Thread: Chain sewing
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Two more notes:
An accurate 1/4 seam allowance is not de riguer in the method I teach. We use the PPM (personal, private measurement aka Mary Ellen Hopkins tip of the day) and trim as stated to the best common size for all blacks. The quilt will end up the size it ends up; or you can add wider borders to create a specific/got-to-have-for-my-(size)-bed/"but-the-book-said...." dimensions. My quilts sort of quit when they get to the size they want to be (see previous topic on this subject from yesterday or day before!).

There is a lot of minute trimming up in this method. It will help to have your cutting table and pressing surface immediately at hand. Sew as many blocks as you possibly can, then cut the sections apart, then press, then trim.

Paper piecing is a great way to make log cabins for many people; the end justifies the means, in my opinion. No matter how you do it, just go for it!

Jan in VA

For those so kind to toot the horn, thank you for your acknowledgement. If your guild would like to discuss a workshop, I'd be happy to oblige. (Especially if it's someplace warm!)

Jan in VA