View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 AM
sharoney

I quilt all my own quilts, even up to king size, on my domestic machine. It is definitely a learning process, and I'm glad that LA's and online quilting sites were not so prevalent when I first started FMQ, because looking at pics of what LA's can do would have been very discouraging. I don't have the space or the money for one. I did buy an E-Z quilter frame for my DMS several years ago, and ended up not using it because the quilting space is so small, especially for large quilts, and I had to keep moving and adjusting the quilt in the frame. I just kept at it. I can turn out a very nicely quilted quilt that I am happy with, and isn't that the point? I also recommend Leah Day- watching her helped me immensely, and I use a lot of her patterns.
I also think its important to enjoy the process, which I do, very much. FMQ is my favorite part of making a quilt. I can't wait to finish piecing so I can quilt.
Having said all that, I believe that there are people who are better at piecing than quilting, and vice versa. I think those people should get together and trade talents, and there's no shame in that.