View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 08:10 AM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by mhollifiel View Post
Diamondee, GREAT idea! I have used my machine to sew on buttons all over the quilt to take the place of quilting. It gives a nice look. Your machine manual should have a sewing on button description but you can do it even if the manual doesn't give you directions. PROVIDED: your machine can zigzag, can drop feed dogs, and has a needle position that can be moved left or right.
Here's how you do it for the uninitiated.
Drop feed dogs
*Put on your machine's recommended button application foot if available. An open toed foot should work.
*Set foot down on top the button placed where you want it attached to your quilt.
*Line up the left hole with the needle and set the needle position there. Do this manually for you blonds!
*Take 3 or 4 stitches in place to secure
***Place a pin across the button middle so that the zigzag will cross over it so there's a bit of a thread shank created when stitching. This will keep the button from being sewn down too tightly. (optional)
*Set the zigzag so that the machine zigzag jumps left right, left right into the button eyes by hand then you can use the foot pedal to stitch it on.
*Return the needle position to the left and take 3 or 4 stitches to secure.

Repeat until quilted and buttons supply has been reduced!
This goes pretty quick once you have the "system" worked out and your settings figured out.
I just set my zigzag for the widest and the stitch length at 0 and zig 20 times or so. Then pull the front two threads thru to tie to back threads, then clip.