View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 05:24 AM
dray965

Default rag quilts, anyone?

I'm thinking of making another and am wondering whether many of you made these? I'm wondering what materials you used and whether you batted or not.

My very first quilt years ago was a rag quilt. I went to a local Octoberfest that had many types of handcrafts demonstrated there. I was a school counselor at the time and at the quilting demonstration booth, one of my 3rd graders was sitting at a sewing machine demonstrating how to make a rag quilt. She showed me. I'd never quilted and thought, "well...if a third grader can do it, surely I can." LOL

My first and only one was ambitious and turned out rather well. I, as a non-quilter, had been to a quilt store with my quilting friends and saw a rag quilt in red christmas material that had a crossword puzzle embroirdered in the squares using holiday words.

I decided to use all the member of my immediate family's names: mine, my hubby, my 4 kids, and their kids names.

I went to a free crossword puzzle software, downloaded and kept putting in my kids names until I got a pattern that I thought looked pleasing, while keeping it within the block number across and down I wanted.

Then I made it. Boy...was that a challenge...I'd never quilted; I didn't know how much material to buy for the top, much less for the bottom. My local quilt shop helped me figure it all out. I'm sure they thought I was crazy ascertaining how little I knew about the process...LOL. But...hey...they were selling fabric. <grin>

Anyway..it turned out great! Now my family has grown; my children have all married, had kids and one great grandchild. They are complaining that mom's quilt doesn't have all the names on it and think I should make another.

So that's where you come in I hope. I made the 1st one out of cotton material front and back and batted it. It really shedded a lot when it went through the washer & dryer. would flannel be better? And, if so, would it embroider as well?

Happy quilting,
Dray