View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 AM
nancia

i use very well drained tuna, generally white as that's dh's preference, and add half a small well-chopped onion ( if you have non-onion eaters leave the pieces big enough to pull out), about 2-3 tablespoons of mayo ( or miracle whip, depending on your crowd. we are mayo people), at this point you can add a tablespoon plain yogurt if you need more moistness, and i chop up about 1/2 an qpple with or without peel. with the peel is pretty. and about a teaspoon of sweet relish, or dill relish, again it's a personal taste thing. then salt and pepper to taste. a little lemon or lime juice is a nice touch. some people enjoy some pecan pieces or walnut bits, but i'm allergic so never include them. if i want more crunch i add celery, chopped water chestnut or cucumber. personally, i love well drained tuna with just enough mayo, and salt and pepper to taste. my mother made it with mustard ( the yellow kind) but that was never to my taste. add dried or fresh parsley, dried or fresh dill, or a small amount of curry powder. tuna is sooooo versatile! i even like freshly picked peas or freshly thawed peas gently mixed in. and i've had it with cream cheese added to the mayo. it's also good with sliced green grapes. to cut down on fat totals, use a little applesauce to replace some of the mayo or miracle whip. i almost forgot that i like to add chopped olives, either green with/without pimiento, or black, hard cooked egg and a touch of nutmeg, finely chopped pear, cilantro, pick and choose! it's all good! and i love it on toasted cinnamon raisin bread! and if i don't have that i've been known to toss in a few raisins. i also love it served in a lettuce leaf cup, or a hollowed out tomato or smallish green pepper. so many ways to eat it, and all are yummy!

Last edited by nancia; 03-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.