View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 AM
J.M.

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
are bugs a problem where you live, or are you just worried about something you've read?
As far as I know, bugs are not a problem where I live, but everything I’ve read warns against storing starched fabric as the starch attracts bugs. So that’s where the question came from.

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I have had zero bug problems with stored starch fabric in MN and WI, whose climate is similar to that of the Netherlands. The only time bugs are really a problem, I think, is when you live in a very hot and humid climate (perhaps Florida, the Virgin Islands, etc.).

Honestly, unless you've actually seen bugs in your house, I would just store the starched tops in a covered plastic tub and not worry about bugs.
Good to know that in a ‘low-bug’ climate like here it’s not such a problem.

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
So, why can't you just quilt the tops as you finish them?
If you follow the course laid out in the book, you make multiple tops throughout the book, but don’t attach any borders until one of the last chapters. No border = no quilting. So that’s why. And the way the book’s laid out, this approach does make sense, as your skills build up throughout the lessons in the different chapters. I don’t want to jump ahead, so that means storing tops.

I like the Rubbermaid container idea – or in my case a similar plastic box with lid. It will keep the tops safe, dry, and also dust-free. Bonus for keeping (possible) bugs out . Thanks for the input!