Old 11-07-2009, 02:25 PM
mpeters1200

I've only been handquilting a few years. For the most part, now it's all I do. I've looked at Aunt Beckys protector several times and just cannot figure out if it would work for me. I now use a small lap hoop like she does, 14" round. Whether floor frame, PVC or lap, my quilting is the same. I've tried the drugstore tape and can't get the hang of it. I have to feel that the needle is on the other side. I've considered using the liquid skin too, and I still might.

What I really want is a callous on my finger. I know, what a thing to want! But I do, I'm trying to form a callous on my index finger so it won't be so painful. It's so hard to describe to someone who doesn't stitch anything that I'm not pricking myself at all, but it's still painful.....oh well.

For now, I'm still sticking to feeling the other side. Just not in my comfort zone I guess. I use a generic 87 cent Walmart thimble with the lip on it for quilting. I don't necessarily rock or not rock the needle, though I do try to put at least 4 stitches on the needle at once. I sometimes rock the needle, other times the fabric. It's all one fluid motion if my quilting space isn't too taut.