View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 PM
lisalisa

Default Bow ties from shirt cuffs and collars

There was some discussion in another thread about what to do with left over shirt cuffs and collars after you harvest them for fabric. I was a little horrified to see so many people say they chuck them.

I like to make bow ties with them. It's nifty because the interfacing is already there for you so it gives your bows some body and saves you a few steps.

Here is a little tutorial I wrote. It's fairly simple and my version of it is a little sloppy, but it has so many possibilities. I put this one onto a cheap dollar store head band. You can also put them on quilts, wall pieces, runners, barrettes, gifts. You name it. I love bow ties.

1: Get that cuff out of the trash and trim it square(ish). Be sure to leave the interfacing(the stiff stuff in the middle) in place. It helps to leave the original stitches there. You can trim them off later.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402208[/ATTACH]

2: Fold it in half and pin

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402209[/ATTACH]

3: Sew it closed, leaving one side open to turn it out (like a pillow).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402210[/ATTACH]

4: Turn it out and sew shut. You don't need to worry about poking out the edges perfectly, as it won't show once it's scrunched up into the bow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402211[/ATTACH]

5: Pinch. Make sure it's good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402212[/ATTACH]

6: Wrap it up. I cheated and just used a bias strip to hold it together. Tied underneath. You can use a gathering stitch, or a ribbon or a hair band, anything really. Get creative. It's not rocket surgery.

Marvel at your genius..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402214[/ATTACH]

8: Ask husband to hold the kid still while you get the money shot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402215[/ATTACH]

/end
Attached Thumbnails bow10.jpg   bow9.jpg   bow8.jpg   bow6.jpg   bow5.jpg  

bow3.jpg   bow2.jpg   bow1.jpg  

Last edited by lisalisa; 03-16-2013 at 09:21 PM.