View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 10:40 PM
JanTx

The idea may be not so new. Back in 1973 when I was getting married my husband-to-be's church held what they called a "Display Shower". The gifts were not wrapped. Most were delivered to the church building's fellowship hall by the stores where they were purchased. They were displayed on tables with little cards by each one so you could see who had given it. Even the kitchen stool I was given was placed on top of a table with a card by it. The purpose - as someone has mentioned - so that I was not trapped in the gift-opening chair, but could mingle with the guests. I was miserable! I was 19, knew none of these lovely people and was expected to walk around and talk to them! Oh dear - one of the most uncomfortable evenings of my life. I appreciated the idea, but ... I was SOOO shy! This was in Cordell, OK.

I have hosted two display showers at the school where I teach. Our assistant principal was going to be a new dad, but this would be child number 3. He had not been with us for the arrival of the other two children so we wanted to welcome the little one, but didn't want it to be a big deal. I set up tables in the teacher's lounge for people to display their gifts - many were packs of diapers. As people wandered through during the day they delighted over the gifts - or just read through the gift cards - those who wanted to visit with him could just step in his office. It worked. The other display shower was for the mom of premie twins. We held off hoping she could come back to school for a shower, but that didn't work out and the end of the school year was approaching so ... we had the shower without her! Put things in the library for that one and people oohed and ahhed all day. Then we packed things up and her dear friend delivered them to her. Worked for us. The asst principal new dad sent out a group email thank you. Don't know that that's much better than none at all. The premie mom sent precious thank yous to each of us - including a really sweet one to me for organizing the unusual shower.

Different strokes!