View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 05:29 AM
vickig626

Originally Posted by katieranch View Post
I had never been on etsy, so I checked it out after your post...Crazy, some of the quilt prices do not seem to cover the price of material, alone. One of my cousins asked me if I would make her a quilt, I told her how much fabric it would take and for her to buy it and send it to me and I would charge a nominal fee to piece and quilt it...have not heard from her again!
I've wondered about this myself and what I think is that these quilts could be made with Walmart type fabric (not quilt shop quality fabric). Please don't attack me fellow quilters for saying Walmart fabric is cheap but I'm mainly referring to the price, not the quality.

However, I would never use Walmart fabric for a quilt I plan to sell unless the buyer knows where the fabric is coming from. If they truly wanted me to make one for a certain, inexpensive price, I let them know I "could" use less-quality fabric but it wouldn't hold up for many years. I also let buyers know how much fabric is per yard which usually shocks them right away.

My simple rule when approached for a quilt......minimum of $500 depending on size and type of quilt they want. That usually sends the potential buyer running. If their still interested, then we can "talk".

I've done several memory quilts (mostly lap size) for around $200-$300 and they supply the fabrics from the loved one. These seem to be the most popular.

Bottomline.....don't sell ourselves short.