View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 07:42 AM
gayle bong

I used to do this too. But then it came to a point where so much of what I had was just being repeated. Same block different settings or different fabrics. Since I only enjoy traditional patchwork that is about all I save. But then I know how to draft patterns and can usually write my own directions from a picture. so I cleaned out my collection only saving pictures - unless it had unusual shaped patches. Then I sorted the pictures into similarly typed quilts. Now I have binders of pictures just for sampler quilts. BIG single star quilts, quilts with 60 degree angles, medallion quilts, great scrap quilts etc. I can and do design my own quilts, but often am inspired by these pictures. I also use google Images alot to get ideas on how to proceed with an idea I may have. For example, recently I was just about to start a pink and brown quilt. and just using those key words in google images, I came up with lots of ideas for pink and brown quilts and actually decided NOT to use just pink and brown in the quilt.
You may also find the longer you quilt, the more refined your taste in quilting gets. There is nothing wrong with collecting. I did find that I learned lots comparing the pictures and defining what I like in my quilts. I wouldn't consider it wasted time - looking at all those pictures and patterns. I try to save those tasks for when I can't sew. Like when I want to keep the house quiet, or I am sick or have a back ache or... ;-)