Old 03-17-2013, 08:09 AM
Sierra

I've quilt all my quilts on my DSM which is a Janome 6600 with a 9" throat. I roll it up on two cardboard tubes and clip the sandwich on both ends to keep them rolled and stable. I don't do intricate patterns but often use (1) a long wavy line from top to bottom and then sideways, or (2) a cross hatch pattern (starting from the middle), or (3) a simple crossing of stitches that reminds me of the the tied quilts my mother used to make (start at the center, go 5 large-ish stitches out, backtract 10 stitches, forward 5 and end up where you started; then turn 90 degreees and make the second line of stitching to get a + shaped stitch. I don't stitch in the ditch because I find that hard, but sometimes I echo stitch. Also, sometimes I pillow case (?) my quilts and anchor them down and then quilt them. It all depends.... But it seems important to me to make my own quilts. I'm older and very aware that these quilts are what I will be leaving my family, and I want them to be quilts I made totally, warts and all. If perfection is your goal let a pro do it for you; if love for family is what it's all about for you, then quilt it yourself.