View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 AM
b.zang

Default Looking for ideas in designing a quilt

I have a large panel and the matching four smaller (pillowcase) panels that I'm making into a quilt for my granddaughter. The panel sizes work out to be surrounded by 6.5" blocks, and in the end I'd like the finished quilt to be about 90x100". I'd like to use all the panels but am beginning to think that maybe that's restricting my thinking, so am also open to thoughts without the four smaller panels. I've sweated over EQ6 trying to draft a pattern but can't figure it out, so created one in Excel to count how many blocks I'll need. I'd like to try using one block to create my quilt design through block rotation and placement. My block ideas are either a log cabin or shaded four patch. I also have lots of a fabric that coordinates with the panels so it makes sense to base my quilt on that fabric as well.

Okay! I would love ideas about block placement and other block ideas. Being of the "follow the directions" ilk, launching into designing my own large quilt has become a bit intimidating and I know there are creative minds around here that will do the thinking I'm not managing.

Attached is a picture of the center panel (the smaller are all similar) and my pattern draft.
Attached Thumbnails p1030448.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Brittanys quilt.doc (38.5 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by b.zang; 03-17-2013 at 09:24 AM.