Old 03-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

Havent been visiting the board the last couple of days as I have been going to the Glendale Quilt Show and taking a couple of classes. Phew...awesome, but too much at once!! Love the kites katybob & Cindy!

Got a couple of pointers while taking the classes... first the handquilting I shared - dont think I'm hand quilting Jane this time [not that I'll do her again.... there's others out there I would like to tackle and have to complete!]
The class I took from Deb Karasik was phenomenal!! Cant say enough positive things about her as a person and her teaching and abilities - if you ever have an opportunity to take a class from her do so! you will not be disappointed. She actually has many of her pointers free on her website and here is the one about points...
http://www.debkarasik.com/userfiles/...ct%20point.pdf
If you go back to the main website she has, you can pick up some more info. She is definitely the paper-piecing queen and she judges many quilts. She taught that you should sew your outer points 'inside the box' that creates the point so it doesn't get cut off. Not that ever intend to enter anything into a show.... other than my personal guild. But this is actually something I have always done myself as well without thinking about it. It doesn't have to do with reducing a pattern with points as much as it does making sure that you sew a thread or two away from the sewing line that could potentially cut the point off. Just think about the fact that the sewing seam and the fabrics that meet the seam all adds thickness. Even if you catch the same point in the fabric in your straight seam as the point, it will 'bubble up' to create the illusion of having the point cut off. You would have to press the hell out of it and by that time you will also have stretched your fabric because if there is a point, there is also a bias edge.

I finished I5 finally - week of Jan 27 - but need to trim it and all my sewing stuff is in my car because I have another class with Gwen Marston tomorrow - so the picture will have to wait. I sewed J8 & 9 the first week of Feb at our quilt retreat and will start J10 &11 tonight. Will show pics when the four is done [J8 & 9 are appliqued and the book pattern looks accurate so no real tips here!

have a great Paddy's Day!! off to make corned beef & cabbage.... Forgot the Harp beer and beef stock - should've started earlier..... this one maybe only part crock and part stove top...

Gus