Old 03-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Fortyniner

[QUOTE=Prism99;5934532]Fortyniner, I am confused by your mention of sizes.

As far as I can figure out, 3 strips of 2-1/4" fabric sewn together with scant 1/4" seam should measure a total of 5-3/4" after sewing two seams.

A more common method is to cut 3 strips 2.5" wide and aim for a measurement of 6.5" exactly after sewing two seams (not 6" because there is an unsewn seam to left and right that add up to .5").

Edit: Regarding your question, you want to *sew* a scant 1/4" seam so that after pressing, the fabric taken up by the seam (including turn-of-cloth) is *exactly* 1/4". If you think about it, we all draw block patterns based on exact *finished* 1/4" seams. In order to achieve the exact finish, we need to sew a "scant" seam to allow for turn-of-cloth and space taken up by the sewing thread.

Prism 99, I see what you mean. I probably just don't remember the exact measurements I used since it was a few weeks ago that I did it, but I directly followed the instructions on sewing together the three pieces and the measurements came out correctly when I moved the needle to the right. The quilters on this board do a wonderful job of providing resources and references and I used either directions from someone on the Board or an on-line reference you guys provided. I have learned all kinds of wonderful information here,which is really helpful, since I haven't taken any classes I also had never heard of leaders and enders until I read it on the QB. You guys are the best.