View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 07:09 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Sounds like all you need is practice. You've already identified one common problem: going too fast on curves will cause imperfect stitches. While it is theoretically possible to get perfectly balanced stitches (between the top and bobbin thread) it's not always possible.
This is good news I will also stop trying to "tweak" the tension. I'll treat it like a decorative stitch then, and just make sure there's no evidence of the bottom thread on the top. Most, not all, but most of my sudden turns are me realising, or being told that the pillar of the machine will not move out of my way. That's definitely something I need to keep a better eye on.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
With my FMQ, I like my stitches to be as even as if I am using my regular foot with the feed dogs. I figure my FMQ is successful if my stitches are evenly spaced, no thread pookies and the back should look as good as the front. If you've mastered all that then don't worry about problems you don't have.
Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
Just practice some people learn it very quickly and some don't apparently you did. Good for you, now just stitch stitch stitch.
Mastered is a strong word,... but I will stop "borrowing trouble" (as DH's grandpa used to say) then and just practice my butt off.

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
Wow! I wish FMQ was that easy for me. You are fortunate.
I watched a video from Patsy Thompson, she said that it almost required you to think "backwards"... you're moving the paper, not the pen. I just I'm just naturally "backwards". Boy that explains a lot, not just quilting either.