View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 07:33 PM
pumpkinpatchquilter

I'll tell ya what, the bobbin washers for one thing don't seem to be necessary if you have a bobbin spring already in your metal bobbin case OR if you have plastic drop in bobbins. Backlash is when little unsightly loops form on the back side of your stitching - usually when using a metal bobbin in a metal bobbin case. Bobbin springs keep the bobbin from continuing to spin after you stop. I find I have more backlash issues on my long arm than any of my sewing machines...but that's the whole "bobbin washer" deal. I have a cheapo Walmart brother that I do beautiful heirloom quilting on and never an issue with backlash.

The more you do the more you'll become familiar with what to look for. Another thing that hangs some people up is thread. When you switch from polyester threads to cotton threads you generally need a different size needle and not everyone grasps what a HUGE difference a size 10 needle will make with a thin poly thread.

Sounds like you were fortunate to have a good combination of needle and thread off the bat and the stitching part comes naturally!

**Edited to add ** Another note on the bobbin washers. The looping and issues some of the "big name" quilters like Leah Day or Sharon Schamber have also come from using high speed machines. Sharon uses a Juki that stitches up to 5000 stitches per minute - that's faster than my APQS long arm. Backlash and sketchy tension seems to be more of an issue when you start stiching at high speeds like that.

For what it's worth! Have fun!!

Last edited by pumpkinpatchquilter; 03-17-2013 at 07:36 PM.