View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 11:51 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
Frankls I don't get what you are asking. You say nothing bad is happening and you are getting better. So what is it?
I have no crystal ball that will tell you the future or warn you about something that aparantly isn't happening. I didn't even read all the replies since you said nothing is really wrong but you want to know what might go wrong if it ever does.
Totally fair question. Why I was asking was twofold:

Do you ever get the feeling things are going too well? You're going along, figuring that things are OK, but have a nagging feeling you've forgotten something, or failed to see something, and it might be "big"? Otherwise known as waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The other thing is that FMQ is largely about creating muscle memory. I didn't want to train my brain and muscles wrong then have to break the habits. Better to catch them early.

I heard from a number of people and read on a lot of sites that FMQ wasn't necessarily for "beginners". I haven't completed my first quilt, and I've only made perhaps 3 (very small) quilted items total so far. I'm a "barely has begun" quilter at this stage. There was no reason to believe (I thought) that I would be able to do this without huge investments of time and practice at all. I expected needle shrapnel (it's a big part of my sewing history as it is), and loops and broken thread at the least. I thought there was a good chance I was overlooking a lot of smaller things just because the massive problems weren't happening.

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Enjoy your blessing. It's OK to be good at something.
Thanks PTF, that may well be exactly what it is. Sort of a consolation for the years of not being able to draw or cut a straight line... I'll take FMQ over the ability to draw a straight line any day.