Old 03-18-2013, 03:49 AM
Hibernialass

Default Advice for multiple textured fabric in a longarmed quilt

Hello! I'm hoping some of you out there will have some experience or advice for me. I'm starting the second of three double/queen sized quilt tops for a friend whose husband passed away. I am incorporating fabric from his clothes into the quilts. I've attached a photo here to the completed double wedding ring quilt, the first in the series. Fabric from the "rings" in this quilt came from her husband's dress shirts and ties.

I now am looking at fabrics for the next quilt and here is where my question comes in. I'm wondering how much I can get away with in terms of mixed fabric textures for a quilt that will eventually be longarmed. The man had beautiful, very fine clothes. Some shirts are exceptionally soft cottons. But I'd also like to use a piece of ripped denim from a pair of jeans, and have a range of textures in between these two. After the quilt is longarmed, I want to add more artifacts such as buttons, maybe even a shirt label, sewing them on by hand. For this quilt, I want it to be textured, chunky in some ways, almost overstated that the fabrics are upcycled clothing.

Do you all have any recommendations generally, foresee any issues, or have any advice to offer? Many thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails 885872_10151556345400185_616119987_o.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-18-2013 at 04:49 AM. Reason: offsite link not permitted