View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 04:43 AM
lovelyl

Originally Posted by RavenLunaStitch View Post
Are all 221's basically equal or are there some years and/or places that they were made with different/improved mechanics? I'm looking for one and would like to narrow it down to a model/year for searching purposes so I can get the best machine I can for the $$. I will wait for the "perfect" one for me but it would be helpful to look for the best model I can afford. Thanks for your help!
The FWs made up through 1936 or 1937 do not have numbers on the tension dials, later models do. I have never found this to be a problem, though. I think the main "mechanical" changes came with the white FWs. I have heard others comment that the white ones are not as good as the black ones - something about the way the belt is driven or something like that. Someone more knowledgable could tell you the difference between the black/white ones and I hope someone will jump in here with more accurate info. I just returned from a 4 day trip with 10 teenagers and I seem to having a major senior moment.... Or maybe a nervous breakdown...