View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Beachbound

I use a hoop as well, I like the fact that I can check the back & smooth out any bumps before I do each section. I like a #10 needle, I tried the #12 needle but I was breaking the darn needles so fast I went back to my #10s. Personally I only put about 4 stitches on the needle at a time. That way I can keep checking the rear of the needle to the stitch line & make sure I am going straight. Also I put a little piece of ThumbEase under my thumb nail near the side because I stop the needle underneath with my thumb. I have had some very sore thumbs before I realized they made a product to help that! I've tried all kinds of thimbles for my middle finger & I like a good metal one. I found one at a quilting store that I adore....if the store wasn't out of business I would go buy a few back up ones. Same with my hoop, ya would think that they are all alike but nope! not even a little bit!!! Good luck, I love hand work but wish I was better at machine quilting~ it's all a challenge!

As for hand appilque, it is not done in a hoop & I use the blind stitch. The key is to take tiny stitches, just a tiny bite into the fabric and use matching thread.