Thread: Irons
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by Loretta
There is another post on this board where we discuss irons and their problems. If I recall, many people said the irons found at charity shops (older) got hotter and pressed better. And no automatic shut off. Check it out! Sometimes older is better!
This is my suggestion too. Speaking of which, my iron broke (got dropped at a charity sew in) and I need to get a new one so I need to hit a few Thrift Stores.

Dawn - my g/f absolutely loves her Rowenta iron also, but I have to be honest, I don't like it. The end is rather blunt, which makes pressing into corners soemthing of a pain and I absolutely and completely despise the feature of it setting down on the ironing board instead of sitting upright. For those who haven't used one, whenever you grab the handle the iron 'lowers' itself down onto the fabric, ready for ironing. This sounds great, except if you let go it automatically raises and that is the part I cannot stand. I will often make berries with the mylar washers, which means I need the iron to sit on the fabric for a good 30+ seconds. I will usually set the iron on one piece while preparing the next. With the Rowenta iron, I must stand there and hold the handle to keep it from popping up. I think if I never did applique or anything fusible this would be a good iron for me, but at over $100 it simply would drive me insane and force me to take longer to get a quilt together.
~Tiffany