View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 12:01 AM
DOTTYMO

I should try small size fabric at first. If you use a consistent size ie 15inches you could join them and make a quilt after. I love hand quilting but recently had to give it up after an hand operation. I tend to hold in my hand get annoyed moving hoop all the time. Keep stitches consistent in size. Looking for a thimble, I put on false nails I find then excellent for pushing needle through fabric but best of all catching the needle in bottom before pushing back.
If you prefer a hoop try charityshs to buy one first. Here in England I have been to classes with two very well known world wide hand quilters who are also very good friends. One likes to have her fabric very taut in the hoop, items will bounce off, the other prefers a looser fabric. I believe when at shows they deliberately if they get the chance change each others setting. If I use a frame I use a plastic square frame find it far easier to handle than a circle. Don't forget to lmark you fabric well, I do find chalk wears off when hand quilting and air erasers fade before you finish sometimes.
Most of all I found not to be too critical at first and relax and enjoy that was where the blocks work.