Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 AM
madamepurl

Originally Posted by bigredharley View Post
looked at the "sit down" machines where you move the fabric, and I'm not that coordinated. I figure with a "big" LA I can use templates and trace my way through until I can get the hang of it.
I always suggest for anyone thinking of purchasing a longarm to take a class and see if they like doing this. It's more complicated and uses more exertion then we ever thought before the class. The class and doing a rental was well worth the investment.

I was worn out just getting it loaded correctly. It has to be loaded right for the panto to work out. I did a panto and that was complicated too, b/c of where you start and finish, how to roll the quilt, etc. We probably wore the lady out too as she kept having to help us along. My friend worked on a groovy board... just as complicated. I worked on the HQ, but my friend worked on the APQS and that thing was like pushing 30lbs of machine around all day.

I took a day class and then quilted for a day and then had to rest for two days. I decided the sit down was the way to go after that...still can plan out whole patterns and have enough room to not have to wrestle it through. The HQ Sweet Sixteen now offers a regulator, which I have and love.