View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 06:44 AM
salederer

Default Suzyquilter

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I did a lot of reading before I started experimenting with FMQ. I can sort of meander, I can sort of do loops ... I was playing with hearts and feathers last night,.... my control and stitch length is getting better.

I've been quilting on bed sheets, using universal needles, and -really- old thread that I didn't even wind (came with vintage machines I've bought), my fabric hops up and down with the foot.

By all accounts, I've set myself up for failure, right? Here's what I don't get:

• I'm not breaking needles (I broke one the first night, about 2 hours in, and I think that was a mistake from getting tired)
  • I'm not shredding thread
  • I'm not skipping stitches
  • I'm not getting puckers
  • I haven't been able to find a machine that I "hated" for FMQ (all have been class 15 or 221 bobbin style machines though.), nor have I been able to pick a favorite, they all seem to be "good" to my limited experience.
  • All embroidery feet seem equally good (the singer one is a little noisy, and I need to keep oiling it to quiet it down, but otherwise good)

You're probably thinking: What? What's she asking?

When I read about people like Leah Day having trouble when she started, and needing to use those bobbin washers, etc, or talking about how this foot is better when adjusted by bending this, shimming this, and cutting that, etc, I wonder what I'm "missing".

The only thing I can think of is that my tension may be a little loose? I can see the top thread on the bottom a smidge, especially if I turn too fast. Maybe that's allowing the machines and thread to "forgive" my inexperience?

Maybe my stitching really looks -that- bad and I just don't know any better? :P
I've been doing free motion quilting for just a little over ten years, since I first learned to quilt. I've found that it takes practice, practice, practice! the best thing to practice on is a sandwiched piece, simular to the quilt you will be working on. Don't go too fast. A nice steady speed, keeping your speed and movement of fabric together. Also if practicing on a large piece have it supported on tables or something to keep the piece level with your machine. Good luck.