Old 03-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

Cindy - I love the blocks!! I wouldn't redo them - Look instead at Jane's quilt and realize that all of her sashing is not the same size.... actually she had no sashing! You can 'custom cut/adjust' the width of the sashing around random blocks so that points are not cut off [unless you are planning to enter the finished product at Paducah ] But your melons are well made - only potential problem is the cutting of the points. Your other option if you dont want to adjust sashing and it looks like they will cut off if you lay your Jane ruler or other 4 1/2" square over the block - carefully remove the stitching in just the points of the melons .... the last third or half ....and restitch by hand to bring it closer in. I wouldn't redo the whole thing at all. My option would be the sashing adjustment.

Here is my I5 [week of Jan 27] I marked the center section onto the print, cut four melons and appliqued to the mark and put that aside. I cut a 5 1/2" square of background and transferred the outer curves to that. I cut a 5" square of print and transferred the circle to it and then basted the two squares together, background on top, white trimmed 1/4-1/2" towards center of curved marking. I next reverse appliqued print under background, laid my center piece underneath and reverse appliqued the center. Similar to thatquilt.com, but I think the explanation is confusing...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402798[/ATTACH]

It's taking longer to applique J10 than I had expected....you're right Cindy - lots of applique this week! I love it but what was I thinking???? Sorry ladies! Of course, by now we are all on our own schedule
I have appliqued one corner each of the last two evenings [and have been busy the rest of the day]

I did want to show you my approach so I took a picture showing the two corners appliqued on the background which is cut larger than finished 'cut size' ... about 5 1/2"- 5 3/4"
I will reverse applique the center section to the top containing the corner melons when I am done. To make the center section, I will cut four print pieces using the template shown and hand stitch to background melons. At this point I think if I stitch exactly to the corner points at the center and not beyond to the edge of the fabric, it will lay smoother. But I will keep you posted...[ATTACH=CONFIG]402799[/ATTACH]

Have fun!!
Gus
Attached Thumbnails dj-i5.jpg   dj-j10a.jpg