View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by Phoppe View Post
I was wondering if anyone might know of popular quilt patterns from the "Wild West" days. My cousin in Germany is creating his own saloon in an old barn on his property and I was thinking of making him a throw quilt to hang over a chair or something from the wild west saloon era. Anyone know of the common quilt block patterns that would have been used around that time? Thanks.
My guess is that a crazy quilt pattern would fit the bill. IN THE OLDEN DAYS, quilts utilized scraps------------whatever shape or size or fabric content was handy. And being more of a rough and tumble sort of place, the fine work of a more patterned quilt might be kept for the bedroom.

One advantage of a crazy quilt, you could use old slacks, suit jackets, vests, dress & work shirts. Lean toward the darker colors--------dark brown, blood red, forest green, dark slate blue, grays, some lights, but more darker stuff. Maybe quilt it with a variegated thread using all those colors.

AND IMO! for a quilt for your purpose, it would not need to be "quilting cotton" only.