View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 03:32 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Let your work speak for you. Show it at a guild or in a show. Then you can compare to other quilting and see the difference if any.
I may see if I can find a show around here just to go and look at what's out there. I don't know if Edmonton has a show? I'm a ways away from wanting people to see my FMQ, and definitely miles away from wanting anyone to see my piecing. LOL!

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have FMQd about 85 or more quilts. The first one I ever did is on our bed now. I can really see my improvement. I'm still not real good at it but it pleases me and that is all I care about. I only give quilts to people I think need a quilt. I don't do any fancy designs, just like to move to suit myself. the hardest part is learning to move the hands according to the speed of the machine. For me going fast and moving fast works best for me.
I'm with your grampa, don't borrow trouble. I set my top tension at 2, I use whichever thread I choose. Lowering the feed dogs makes it easier for me. Stitch length doesn't matter if the feed dogs are lowered. My bobbins are metal as are all the machine parts. Practice is important.
See, that's a just unfathomable number of quilts for me. This one I'm binding has been a UFO since about November, and it's my first. You'd think I'd have been all over it.

I seem to do better with fast as well. After watching Leah Day's video about the FMQ foot she recommends, (where she talks about slowing it down for newbies) I tried and was able to go slower on the 15 for some reason, and I did enjoy that too. I didn't even mind the warm toes, I am in Central AB in winter after all.

I will bind this quilt tonight and make some more sammies to practice on.