Old 03-20-2013, 04:21 AM
quilterpurpledog

I think the comments about the possibility of puckers on the backing being a problem if the binding is added before the quilting is complete is interesting-and misleading. She has already stabilized the quilt by STID. You can see if there is the possibility of puckers by looking carefully at the back after the STID. That is where the puckers would back up-not at the edge of the quilt. Personally, I do it this way all of the time. I do enjoy binding and I like to get rid of all the bulk of the added 2-4 inches all around-especially the extra batting. I think adding the quilting after the STID gives opportunity to do as intricate patterns as I want-its not daunting. Right now I am doing one with 48 squares and try to do one or two squares each day. For me the key is being very careful about the basting process. I have packed away the safety pins because of their weight and always having to stop to remove them. Sometimes I thread baste, quilt over it and them remove it when I finish. I also like the glue method.