Old 03-20-2013, 04:10 PM
CarolynMT

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Carolyn: I am kind of going out on a limb. The monochromatic use of color is what we are aiming for but I made the interesting discovery that there are very few blenders in my stash. So....I have a preprinted panel that would work for the center block, the colors are what I would term water colors purpley blue, jade green, grey and a muted gold. My question is do you think these colors could be made to work in your pattern? If so what should be considered when choosing the values? Any help would be very appreciated. Please be frank, my color sense is not always what it should be. I really want to learn from this experience.
I have done french braids through different colors, if you search on here, I have 2 queen sized ones. One done in the reds to black with black accents, and the other is done in fall colors, from green to yellow to orange to red, with brown as an accent color (search "Celtic Knot French Braid", I titled them the same) so it is possible to get that "glow" effect by going through different colors. I would say start with the lightest color, or the one in the center panel that is the lightest, audition the other colors next to it, going from light to dark in tone (start with tone then move to value)
Get a good attempt, then take a picture. Set this run up in a frequently passed by table, that gets all different lights, and look at it as you walk by and go about your business. Post the picture here am sure we can help ya. And feel free to switch colors.

In the end, this is your table runner, it should be what makes you happy. As I am fond of saying "Never let the instructions get in the way of your creativity"

I am horribly OCD when it comes to colors, I still match socks to shirt and shoes. Scrappy quilts actually cause me pain. Not sure why, I just accept that is what I am So the color gradation type quilts "please" my eye. That is why I like doing them this way. But I know everyone is not like me. I have done a square table topper with this pattern (with modifications) and didnt do color gradation.....mom wanted specific colors in specific orders, just glad it is on her table and not mine...lol it turned out ok.......looked more like a broken up square...but eh, that is what was requested.

And limbs are loads of fun especially when you have US HERE as your safety net. To quote someone famous "No risk = no rewards" go for it......

Last edited by CarolynMT; 03-20-2013 at 04:15 PM.