Old 03-20-2013, 04:53 PM
mcwillia

Don't spend $169 to get these binders in a Bernina box. The binders are available as industrial generics from EBay and are as cheap as $26 for a set of 3 sizes to $89 for a set. I don't own a Bernina but after studying the bed of the machines quickly determined that any metal bed machine with pre-drilled holes will work. I have old Singers (Featherweight, 301s and a Rocketeer) and decided to risk the $26. Thumbs screws to hold the binder to the machine bed were not included but I used a pair from my Singer parts collection. I used the regular sewing foot so it took a couple of tries to get the binder in the right spot as the special Bernina foot makes it idiot proof to line things up. There is certainly a learning curve and my mitered corners are not crisp.....let's face it, the corner is ugly! I took the binding off twice and decided to serge the quilt edges as there were lots of hanging threads from the multiple handlings. The end result is not show quality but does finish both sides quickly for a charity quilt.
The chicken side is the front and the sunflowers on the back.
Attached Thumbnails binder-sample.jpg