View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 PM
n2scraplvr

Let me say that no other pattern I've ever made has given me such a challenge as this one! I was half-way done before I even got the technique down pat! It was also when I was more than half-way done when I decided I didn't like the blocks the way they were laid so I inverted them into the bow tie shape! The hard part of this quilt is not that there are opposite blocks to make, but that the 2 blocks that are identical have opposing positions to be sewn in, i.e., strips are sewn flush to the left or flush to the right.
Here's a pic of the quilt in its early stages where the blocks are laid with the bulk being in the middle and tapering to the ends. I thought the shape resembled a cummerbund or obi that is worn around the waist. Believe me, I was so relieved to see the blocks inverted to being narrow in the middle and wide at the ends, the Bow Tie position! Is shape important in a quilt? You bet it is!!! What can be cuter than Cat in the Hat's bow tie? When it comes down to abstract or familiar, we humans always love the familiar better that we can relate to! Therefore, the Bow Tie has more of a 'connection' factor to us and we love that! (When cropping this pic, the color button got stuck and wouldn't shut off so that's why the colors are off key.)
Attached Thumbnails cummerbund-layout.jpg   other-shapes-appear.jpg  

Last edited by n2scraplvr; 03-20-2013 at 08:21 PM.