View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 PM
n2scraplvr

THE EASIEST WAY TO MAKE THIS QUILT:

Before we start on the process, let me say this. If you decide to make the 20 blocks in the quilt (so that's 80 quarter sections ~ 20x4=80) and there are 2 types of blocks to make, (one is a mirror image of the other), you could always just strip piece 40 blocks**, cut the corners off, turn the template over and make the remaining 40 blocks and repeat. Then lay the blocks on the design board and try out your colors for the Bow Ties then and finish the quilt off. There would be absolutely no confusion there! In fact, the easy way I'm going to show you will be easy but it may take a little longer because I like to design as I go and I am also using up odds and ends of pre-cut strips. Therefore, 3 identical blocks strip pieced is not my goal. We are going to first do the blocks that are identical and then the last 2 that are opposites. This will hold down some of the confusion factor!

** Please note: If you do strip piece this quilt, you cannot flip the template as you will then be making its opposite side. You would have to rotate the template and not flip it to get the same block.**

ABOUT THE BLOCK:

I took the background cornerpiece of this pattern and made it the focal point of my quilt. Adding the bow tie knot just adds another layer of depth, dimension, color and design element to the quilt. I did not intend to do another tut on creating depth in a quilt like my most recent one. It is just coincidental that this is a quilt all about depth and dimension, but a lot could be learned because we are adding another layer of depth when we put the knots on.

If you want the block to come out at 6.5" cut like I did, you will want to use SCANT 1/4" seams to make a 12" finished block.