View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 PM
n2scraplvr

WHAT WENT WRONG:

So you can learn from me and have a better idea of where the trouble lies in this block, you'll need to know what went wrong, how and where and what to do to avoid it.

Nothing could be more frustrating than having your colors picked out with all strips laid out and ready to sew thinking you are doing the bottom right block when you find out by laying the template on top that nothing jives!! It won't work! You can't cut the corner off because it's not at the correct end of the block! You accidentally had the template turned on the WRONG side! And the shortest piece is at the wrong end! After awhile, I just used all strips the same size from my pre-cut stash. This prevented material waste as well. You might want to just do the same.

To avoid this, simply stop chainsewing 4 quarter sections at a time, slow down and do one block at a time to avoid picking up the last strip and either sewing it to a previous block or the wrong end!! I did both of those numbers too!! What a bummer!!

First, test your strips out that they are either at one end or the other by laying the template on top before sewing anything! Do one block at a time and you'll avoid having to resew the strips a 2nd time or take the suggestion from above and just do all strips the same length!

When laying your cornerpiece face down on the block ready to be sewn, make sure the design you want to be shown is at the correct end of the block and won't be cut off! The very flowers I wanted in a print to be included got cut off!

Slow down on joining it all and you'll conquer the ins and outs of this block! The whole goal of this quilt was to use up odds and ends of 2.5" strips so maybe I would've done better not paying attention to the order of things or colors and just sewn my strips together and let them fall where they may have turned out just as well!!

For that reason, this quilt could be good for a beginner's type quilt for someone who is new to scrappy quiltmaking since the background is easy putting mediums and lights together and the bow ties are deep solid colors. I don't think it would be that hard for them.