View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 06:03 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

For cutting, I would think the precuts would be her best option ..... or to find a friend!
Perhaps you could cut for her, and make a kit that's ready for her to stitch?

For sewing, I know you said she has tried ... I'm thinking perhaps this is where the practice practice practice that we all hear so often, comes into play. She may be saying she "cannot" do it, as she is expecting the perfection of her past and needs to allow herself permission for a little lower standards for awhile. She may be seeing it only as another frustration and disappointment in the new life that she has been forced to live. Can you give her more encouragement to try try again?

Larger pieces to put together will be more forgiving than smaller in that they would not be so fiddly to work with. For fabric choice, I would think a heavier cotton would be easier for her to work with than some of the very thin, fine ones on the market. And/Or before cutting, if the fabric were to be spray starched, it would help give a little more substance that might make it easier for her to work with the pieces.

Also, would there be a machine that might be easier for her to work with than the one she is using? Some of the newer features such as needle up/down, auto-cut, needle threader, etc. may be an asset to her. Is there a machine with the autolift meant for left leg operation, or that could be adapted?

Thinking a little further here ... would an Occupational Therapist have the knowledge to help further? Is there support available through your Heart and Stroke association to help her make the adjustments?

Good Luck to you and your Friend ... I hope that she can find some things to help return to her love of sewing.

Last edited by QuiltE; 03-21-2013 at 06:09 AM.