View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM
vickig626

Originally Posted by Vicki I View Post
Well if you look at the prices for longarm quilting you can see where the the price could get very high, but I agree $1200 t0 $1400 is excessive. I do not think $400 for queen or $500 for king is excessive. By the time you buy quality fabrics, spend hours of your time and pay for quilting if you don't quilt yourself it is not unreasonable. Unfortunately I can't find people who want to pay that much for a quilt when they can buy a slave labor quilt cheaper than a comforter. They just do not understand the difference in quality. And most of the people who do are quilters themselves. I give away most of my quilts as gifts and hope the people I give them to understand what I am giving is not just a fabric but a labor of love.
When I made my son's quilt (my avatar), it's approx. queen sized so with all LQS fabrics (including backing), batting, a couple classes to learn a few new techniques, and LA cost, it was close to $400. This was not including my time to design the quilt or put it together. This was definitely a labor of love and my son loves it and appreciates the work involved. That works for me.

I didn't get into quilting to have a business but won't turn down commissioned work if it's worth my time.