Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
CAS49OR

I finally took the time to do this block, and had fun with it. I found the directions kind of confusing, maybe because my blocks were laid out different. So I looked at the video I posted previously and it really helped:
I found this video which I think explains it well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08AlOM5COBU

I had a hard time deciding how to lay out my blocks so I found my crayons and colored the pattern to help me decide. I kept it handy to make sure I was keeping my blocks straight the whole time I was sewing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]403296[/ATTACH]

I used this little gadget hubby bought me at Joann's so I didn't have to mark the 1/4th dots for the Y seams:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]403297[/ATTACH]
I could just place it right under my pressure foot and sew up to it. A tip: Trust that your seams will match up if you do the little back-sewing and wait to press them down until all three sides are sewn together. I was trying to press mine down and keep everything nice and neat, and it didn't line up right and "smoosh" flat.

I found my block was very bulky although I tried to press the seams so they would lock it is impossible in some areas. I often went back and pressed them in a different direction. I pinned through the seams perpendicularly to get them to line up really nice before I pinned the blocks together to sew them.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]403298[/ATTACH]

I'm going with the same color scheme all year, and will probably applique some color shapes to the open black pebble spaces I left on some blocks, or quilt a lot with some pretty multi-color thread.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]403300[/ATTACH]

I can't believe this month is almost over already!! Where does the time go....
Attached Thumbnails botmtip.jpg   gadget.jpg   pintip.jpg   botm3blocks.jpg