Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 PM
PJisChaos

Default Need serious help with this quilting setup...

These are pics of a "longarm" setup I just bought today, it is a Singer 96-45 mounted as a longarm on a frame. This setup was used for 20 yrs. by the woman who ordered it made this way. I am picking it up tomorrow, as you can see, it is not close to being ready to move. Well, it wasn't when I got there today but was a lot closer when I left, 2 hrs. later! Yes, she was a serious hoarder but I did get all of my stash from her daughters as they were cleaning out the house and 3 sheds, so I am not gonna complain.
It is a 12' long frame and is 4' wide measuring from the outside roller bar to the butt of the machine. I even found a box of panto's in that mess that she had made/made herself for this machine. From what I have been able to find out, which is next to nothing, this machine dates to 1941 according to the serial # and the 96-45 was cancelled 3/1946. It was recommended to get the 245-?, all according to Ismacs. Does this mean this is a lemon or they just came up with a better machine? I am not that worried about it, just really curious. I paid only 10% of their original asking price since we have been dickering back and forth for almost 2 yrs now over a price. I could not imagine paying the $3000 they were asking for this setup, given it's current state. It has been sitting idle for the last 4 yrs, & the owner did use it up until her passing. There was even a quilt loaded on it the first time I seen it that has since been removed. I do know hubby is gonna rewire it as that's a little scary looking but, other than that I am thinking a grand cleaning is definitely on the top of the list.
Anyone have any info about this machine or even helpful links for learning how to use it? I sure would appreciate it!

First pic is the label from the maker of this setup.
2nd pic is the whole thing, trust me it's there... just completely buried under crap! It has 3 rollers, all with the leader fabric(?) attached.
Last pic is the machine. The lead rod hanging off is the stylus-type thing used to trace the panto, no laser. yet, but will replace with one.
Attached Thumbnails 009.jpg   010.jpg   011.jpg