View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM
FroggyinTexas

Dang a Bear! I'm glad we got that straight! Earth might have slipped off its axis otherwise and then Someone would have had to either refurbish, repair or restore the balance. froggyintexas
Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Many folks here use the words restore and restoration when they are actually just refurbishing, repairing or servicing a machine.

Let me explain.

Having been involved in the collecting of vintage fountain pens, older firearms, and for a short time a 1927 Chevy car, I've come to learn the real meaning of the the words "RESTORE" and "RESTORATION".

Restoration: Is the end result of when you take an object and restore it to it's original condition. In this case sewing machines. When you restore, you completely rebuild it back to it's original mechanical and visual condition, putting to it's original configuration, using ONLY ORIGINAL FACTORY PARTS . It will be as it was the day it rolled out of the factory.

Refurbishing: Is what you do when you repair a machine, using factory or what ever parts are available, back to functional useable condition. This includes, but is not limited to; cleaning, adjusting, replacing parts, repairing damaged parts, touching up or polishing the paint and plating and fixing the cases or cabinets.
This IS NOT restoration.

Repairing: Is what you do when you fix a damaged machine. This is not restoration.

Servicing: Is what you do when you clean, adjust, and oil a machine to make it work properly.
This is not restoration either.

Since we deal with modern, semi modern, classic, vintage, and antique machines here, I thought I'd get this pet peeve off of my chest. A lot of members here are always using the term restore when all they are doing is refurbishing or servicing their machines.
If you have read my posts, you will notice I do not use the terms restore or restoration when referring to what I do to my machines. I do use the term refurbishing or repair as that is what I do with some of them. The others just get serviced.

Hope I don't ruffle any feathers, but I needed to say this.

Joe