View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM
krafty14

I have been thinking about this quilt, and have seen one made from the same triangles at a quilt group the other day, so I got a little more information from the quilter. Maybe this will work for you. Try with some extra fabric you might have.
Cut a wof strip of 2 of your dark prints 3" wide. Then cut a wof strip of your white or light color also 3" wide.
Sew the strips together with the white in the middle. (I would press the seams open, but that is up to you).
Place the strip set on your cutting board with the darks top and bottom and the white in the middle.
Place the 5" line on your triangle template along the bottom edge of the bottom dark fabric. Cut out the triangle.
Place the 5" line on your triangle template along the top edge of the top dark fabric, as close as possible to the previous triangle. Cut out the triangle.
Try not to cut much beyond the template so that it doesn't interfere in the next triangle.
Continue in this manner cutting out one triangle from the bottom and one from the top. If you use the 5" triangle, you should be able to get 6 of each pattern from the strip set.
Place one triangle on your board with the light at the top. Place the next triangle against it with the light on the top right. Place the next triangle with the light on the bottom right.
Only sew 3 triangles together to form a half hexagon. Sew another 3 together with the lights in the same place to form another matching half hexagon. When you place the long edges together you will see the pattern from the quilt.
Do the same with the other six triangles of the other print. Now you have enough for 2 hexagons. You see the pattern emerging.
When you have all your half hexagons made, lay them out on the floor or designing wall until you like the arrangement. You will have to split some hexagons, half on the top and half on the bottom to fill in the spaces.
I like to put half triangles on the sides to make the edge straight, but from the picture it looks like they just cut off the extra part to make it straight.
Hopefully, this made sense?

ps. These blocks will be much smaller than those in the picture of the quilt. I think that if you make all your strips 5" and sew them together the same way, only using THE SAME FABRIC PRINT on the top and bottom, you should get 3 triangles across the bottom and 3 across the top giving you enough for one hexagon. This will go alot faster than the smaller triangles.

Good luck. Ann

Last edited by krafty14; 03-22-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add ps