View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 PM
cr12cats

I had stoke 5 years ago that was my left side. it took awhile and i still have a hard time with larger things like the quillows i have been doing for the kids.so it is a slow process. but to start with I started with just crazy squares.that way it doesn't have to be exact, i just figured the crazier the better.maybe then you can help her sew them into a lap quilt. if the machine has a control on it for speed put it on slow. just sewing on piecies onto muslum randomly. it doesn't have to be straight. My machine pretty much feeds the fabric through so I just had to hold it to let it guide through. if there is a place on her machine to adjust the fed dogs just make sure they are up enough to feed it through doing most of the work.also if her arm hangs down it may help to use a arm sling just to be able to hold it a bit, at first it did me. and /or prop a pillow under the side she needs. I was lucky i am mostly right handed so I want to wish your friend good luck. the cutting would be to scary with the left so only pre cuts or some one cut things out for her.they have the tools for making strips that you pulled the material on but i'm not sure how hard you have to pull. but that might be good as excerise for both arms too. ask her therapist. I was so totally bored and hated the excerises they gave me after a while so i made up my own by sewing. that was my theraphy and i can now touch my left ear and up to my eyes on my face. and sometime reach the faucet to turn it off.( I know it sounds silly but you just aim for small steps at a time.) so tell her keep trying , just tell her be patient it takes time and start slow a little at a time.all the best to your friend.