View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 08:48 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats View Post
Some great ideas here. I've learned to measure my blocks when done and make them all the same size, or near to as possible, using the smallest measuring block as my new measurement. Now my question, does using different rulers on the same project really make a difference? I have a 6 1/2 inch by 24 1/2 inch ruler that I love because of the 6 1/2inch measurement. My Omnigrid is only 6 inches with no 1/2 inch after and I find that a pain. Of course, the 6 1/2 inch ruler I love is a different brand. As long as I have been quilting and quilting with my friends none of of us has heard about using the same brand of ruler through a whole project.
My opinion on the rulers question (for what that's worth) is that all the rulers are accurate. However, our eyes may see the markings on different rulers a bit differently. Since a ruler has some thickness (about 1/8"), you really need to be right over the ruler when finding the point on the fabric that corresponds to any given measurement. If you are looking at the ruler from one side or the other, the point that you match up will be off. And it may be off a different amount, depending on the angle, the thickness of the ruler, or your ability to see the markings on it. I can't see the markings on some rulers as well as on others, and likewise I have a terrible time reading the markings on one of my mats (orange on gray - who thought that up?) If you're doing okay with any given assortment of rulers, don't worry about using just one brand. If you want to prove to yourself that they're all the same, or that one is different, line them up and check them out that way. I really think you'll find that they are all accurate - unless the edge has worn down and become uneven.