View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 AM
cabbagepatchkid

I like to keep small projects, related to whichever quilt I'm working on, in the kitchen. For instance, if I have some blocks to pin together, I can work on them while cooking supper or while the kids are having a snack, etc. After they are pinned then they are ready to sew together next time I'm in the sewing room. Then I bring them back to the kitchen so that I can iron them open, whenever I have a few minutes.

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and it helps keep my hands busy. In this way, I'm able to get quilts done by using "found" minutes. I have a drawer that I can keep extra sewing supplies in so that I don't have to keep moving scissors, pins, etc. out to the kitchen.

Sometimes, I'll even set up one of my extra sewing machines on the kitchen table. I like to sew, out where the rest of the family is, but I also like to have a sewing room to keep all of my 'stuff' in.

There is a well known quilter (Carol Doak?) who hand-pieces and hand-quilts all of her quilts. They are amazing quilts and she says that most of her sewing is done a few minutes at a time. She brings her projects with her wherever she goes.

Bonnie Hunter works the same way. She brings projects with her where ever she travels. Have you ever joined her, when she sews, on 'Quilt Cam'? Lots of people tune in to "visit" her during her live quilt cam and they sew as they "visit".