Thread: Janome vs. Juki
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 12:52 PM
cowpie2

Default Janome vs. Juki

I've been making quilts for a couple of years now. I can handquilt, but since that takes many months I often send quilts out to be quilted. All I have is a very old simple sewing machine. It would be painful beyond my tolerance to machine quilt on what I have. I've been contemplating getting a quilting machine for quite some time and find that I'll have a nice chunk of extra money in the next month or two and could afford something not too expensive. I had heard good things about the Viking Mega Quilter but looks like that is an older model and the nearest dealer is quite a drive away. A close by dealer sells Janome and Juki machines. There is a very basic Juki that has a huge harp space, but only does a straight stitch. It has a nice walking foot and looks like it would be exactly what I was looking for when I considered the Viking. On the other hand, the Janome has more capabilities with fancy stitches and letters.

So I would be interested in hearing everyone's opinion. I'm leaning towards the Juki TL2010Q ($1200) because I really only think I will use the straight stitch and quilting functions. The Janome 8200 QCP ($2700) has more fancy stitches, but I had a machine with fancy stitches once and never used them. Should I stick with my original plan and just get the straight stitch/quilter, or should I get all the bells and whistles even though I doubt I'll ever use them?