View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 06:41 AM
Buckeye Rose

If you have the room to spread it out, why not try the Elmer's liquid school glue method to baste? It's so easy and fast....and cheap! No fumes from spray basting either. You have to use the washable school glue....when completely done with the quilt, just toss in the washer....glue all gone! I spread out the three layers (backing, batting, top), then pull back the top to halfway. The I open the glue wide open (no special tips necessary) and put down lines of glue, onto the batting, about 3"-4" apart. The glue lines tend to turn into little dots which are perfect. When done spreading glue, lay the top back down, smooth out any wrinkles and pat down onto the glue. I leave mine air dry about an hour, but some will use an iron to set the glue. Either way works. Then I move onto the next section, repeat the process, then flip the entire sandwich and glue the other side. DONE! If you oops and get a glob of glue, just smooth it out with your finger. I fmq on my DSM and have no problems, really don't notice that the glue is there....no gumming of the needle...ever. And the glue will hold till done quilting, no shifting or puckers. If you find you need to reposition....just dampen the fabric/batting until the glue loosens. I will never baste a quilt any other way....this is so easy. Any cleanup is done with a damp rag....it's just washable school glue (starch).