Old 03-24-2013, 08:52 AM
quiltingshorttimer

I just--like yesterday!, bought a 2006 Gammill Classic Plus 22" from the husband of a fellow Guild member. She passed about a month ago--she was not only a wonderful person, but a talented quilter. She used it for both her own and professionally and was so talented. He threw in all the rulers,guides,bobbins,needles, books and literature, seperate winder, etc. I'm also buying lots of batting and thread from him once he gets it inventoried--I'm frankly too overwhelmed to even think about all the fabric! My new Gammill isn't home yet--it has a 14' table (huge!) and we are storing furniture in the basement for my son until he moves into a new place in mid-April. I can hardly wait! I had rented time on a Nolting before and like long-arming, wanted a machine and just kept telling myself that $$ and space prevented me from it. My mother, who taught me to sew (much to my Home Ec teacher's chagrin, since my Mom was a great sewer that new short-cuts) left me some inheritance recently. My goal and hope is that I can be nearly as good at my work as both my Mom and my friend, the previous owner.
Since Gammill is headquartered in West Plains MO and I'm only about 3-4 hrs from there and only 3 from a major dealer in Springfield (where my Mom lived and we always went to this shop) AND there is tech support, in person, only about 30 min from me I'm feeling pretty comfortable--plus have another Guild friend that has a similar Gammill that can help me get started and a friend of the previous owner that has volunteered to give me some lessons. Can't wait until mid-April!