Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM
TX_Cutie

Today Jo-Ann had their Simplicity patterns on sale for $1. I found some very cute apron and nightshirt patterns to make as Christmas gifts. I also found a nice one for sewing room items (pin cushion, chair organizer, machine cover, etc.)

I can't follow the pin cushion pattern AT ALL. I know millions of sewers find it easy to follow these instructions but I am not one of them. I can assemble Ikea furniture, do it yourself home renovation projects, legal jargon, and even computer instructions. But the "sew easy" patterns? Not a chance.

Am I the only one who has these problems? It's as though the pattern is skipping steps (or not explaining the whys and hows). For example - the pin cushion pattern's last step involves inserting a can. What can? Who said I needed a can? A full can - an empty can - a soda can - a soup can - a paint can - WHAT CAN?? :oops:

These patterns always end up making me feel foolish - especially the ones specifically labeled as "for beginners" or "for dummies". If I can't follow them, what does that make me? :cry:

Okay, I feel better now that I've shared my frustrations with my fellow quilters. I'll just stick to quilting patterns - those I've got down.