View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 10:27 PM
manicmike

My GF has a Jones, but it's much older than that (30 to 40 years older looking at it). Other than that one I don't know them. There's a bit of info about Jones here and a wikipedia article here. I want a serpentine machine, but they're very exy now.
Missed the 66K, thankfully (makes me teary when to see sewing machine abuse). I do recall seeing the whitewashed cabinet. $220 indeed, when lovely Singers can be gained with $25 - $45! I just searched and found this Jones for $64 (incl. postage, assuming you don't want to drive to Adelaide to get it, and assuming nobody will bid on it).
If you want one in a cabinet, I would buy a clapped out, seized up (and preferably ugly) machine in a good cabinet and swap the sewing machine for a nice one. In my experience the portables and cabinet-mounted ones share the same mounting hinges (it makes sense to do this) so you should just be able to swap. Most machines came as portables or in a cabinet (I have one of each for the 319K and the hinges are identical). This will probably be your cheapest option, seeing as the cabinet machines are usually over-priced. Also, I've found that the further away from Melbourne you get, the lower the prices are.
Mike
P.S. Do you have someone to fix your new 99K?