View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 AM
J Miller

Default Newest adoptee - Singer 328K

We got a new ( to us ) Singer 328K last Friday. Came from GW on line. Aluminum body with all steel insides. No plastic junk to give up at the worst moment. It uses flat cams and came with it's #1 ZZ cam and the retaining knob. We have all the flat cams made I believe so we have that end covered. It uses low shank feet and accessories and class 66 bobbins so that makes things easy.

Here is some pics of our new adoptee:

Once I got the machine out of the box I jumped right on cleaning and fixing and forgot to take some "before" pics. So here is the front view from GW. You can see the one broken spool pin on top, the one on the bed is missing and the machine is pretty grimy. But it turned .... very reluctantly though.

Turns out the belt had disintegrated. Parts of it were falling out all over the place and some of it was stuck to the pulleys. This is all that's left of it. I didn't have an exact replacement belt but I had a used one that will work till I can get a replacement.

Front end.

Back end.

Pointy end.

Round end.

Trap door open to show the cam and retaining knob.

Corrosion on the top.

I had to make the spool pins cos I didn't have any new ones. I used the acetal rod my wife uses in her pet tents.
Worked good. Made mine a quarter inch longer than the originals.

I still need a new motor belt and a set of rubber feet for the bottom and a case. Those I'll get eventually.

You can see the corrosion on the top cover and the motor cover if you look close. I'll be sanding and painting that eventually.
After cleaning the machine sewed very well. She's a bit noisy but she came from FL and from the dirt, grime, nicotine, and corrosion I'd say she spent a long time out in a shed or somewhere exposed to salt air. Cleaning the dirt and grime off was a lot easier than the nicotine. But she's cleaned up and sewing now.

Just have to decide what to make; a whacky bag, a lap quilt?

Joe