View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 PM
clsurz

I totally agree. A board like this is for beginners to experienced and we can learn from one another no matter what level we are at.

One does not know it all no matter how many decades one has been quilting. There is alot to quilting from traditional, contemporary, MODERN, free form and much more. Lets not forget hand piecing and quilting as well as maching cutting fabric and machine sewing.

I am on here for the knowledge I gain from beginners to experienced and every one in between.

Someone like you mention who says its for beginners usually think they know it all and you can't teach them anything and also are not willing to have an open mind to doing things differently than what they learned. Which brings me to something that was said this evening at a local group. There is a lady who does a show of her quilts every year. She literally has a hundred or so quilts and all hand pieced and hand quilting. She refuses to accept that unless it is done by hand piecing and hand quilted it is not a quilt. She refuses to even have a discussion about quilting that brings up machine sewing and quilting.

Than you have those that are die hard traditional quilters who feel the same way as she does regarding the form of quilting. If it is not traditional it is not quilting.

Than you have contemporary quilters who are more open to trying new ways of quilting.

Than you also have MODERN quilters who are the rebels of the group who refuse to be cookie cutters and use patterns of any sort and who do there own thing in free form designs. I fall into this category.

Personally I feel there is room for everyone in this art form and we should be respectful of each others way of doing things when it comes to this art form.

We all learn from each other on boards like this no matter if what we read is from a beginner novice or an experienced person. IMHO knowledge of any type is power and helps us to do things better.